In Greece from 28 May to 1 June 2016 and in Florence Saturday 4 and Sunday June 5 2016 an exhibition was held with workshops open to the public, fruit of collaboration and cultural exchange between the Workshop of Iconographical painting of the Associazione Archeosofica of Florence, the Workshop of iconography of the Church of the Panagia Phaneromeni of Kozani and the Workshop of iconography “Non-Stop” of the Metropolis (diocese) of Kastoria.
The exhibition entitled “The Face of the Virgin Mary through the centuries” has exhibited in two Hellenic cities, Kozani and Kastoria, and in Florence, the works of the teachers and students of these three workshops that have also had the opportunity to confront each other and with the public on various practical and theoretical aspects of Byzantine art from its secular tradition to the present day.
The purpose of the event was to initiate a visual dialogue between the two traditions, Greek and Italian, through the study of a common theme, that of the face of the Virgin. This dialogue brought many interesting points of contact between the different interpretations of the workshops of the two countries and opened the way for other future common projects for students. A further objective is, through the synergy of cultural institutions and the artistic workhops of our countries, to establish links between the institutions of art and culture so as to consolidate a relationship of knowledge and experience sharing and a long-term cooperation.
To watch the video with the photos of the program in Greece follow this link May-June 2016 – Greece and Italy: Iconographers in comparison in Greece
To watch the video with the photos of the program in Italy follow this link May-June 2016 – Greece and Italy: Iconographers in comparison in Italy
KOZANI (28-29 May 2016)
Saturday 28 May 2016
- Morning: 11.30 – 13.30: practical workshop
- Afternoon: 19.30: Opening of the exhibition “The Face of the Virgin Mary through the centuries”, exhibition of the works carried out by the Greek and Italian students.
Sunday 29 May 2016
- Morning: 11.30 – 13.00: Conferences “Byzantine art today in Greece”; Speaker the Prof. Anestis Keselopoulos, Theologian of the University of Nicosia, former professor at the University of Thessaloniki.
- Afternoon: 18.00 – 20.00: practical workshop leaded by Christina Matiaki and Roberta Capezzuoli.
KASTORIÀ (30-31 May-1 June 2016)
Monday 30 May 2016
- Afternoon: 19.30: Opening of the exhibition “The Face of the Virgin Mary through the Centuries”, exhibition of the works carried out by the Greek and Italian students.
Tuesday 31 May 2016
- Guided tour of the Byzantine and post-Byzantine churches of the city.
Wednesday 1 June 2016
- Guided tour to the monasteries of the Meteoras.
FLORENCE (4-5 June 2016)
Saturday, June 4, 2016
- Morning: 11.00 – Practical workshop: “The secret Geometry of the icon”: speakers Gioni Chiocchetti, architect e Alessandro Mazzucchelli, medieval art historian.
- Afternoon: 18.00: Inauguration of the exhibition “The Face of the Virgin Mary through the Centuries”: Exhibition of the works carried out by the Greek and Italian students. Presentation of the book “The icon, the colors and the artistic ascesis” by Tommaso Palamidessi, founder of the Association Archeosofica. This work is one of the most important contributions to the revival of the painting of icons in Italy and, in general outside the Orthodox world. Tommaso Palamidessi stayed for a long time both to Mount Athos and to the Meteoras in the years ‘ 50 of the last century, where cultivated fruitful contacts with the monks painters. Speakers: Gina Lullo, art historian and Gianluca De Martino, theologian, journalist.
Sunday, June 5, 2016
- Morning: 10.30 – 13.00: practical workshop – presentation and comparison of materials used by the Italian school for the preparation of icons.
- Afternoon: 15.30 – 18.00: practical workshop – Illustration of the colour samples used by the ancient Iconographers, reconstructed by the Florence iconography Workshop, leaded by Roberta Capezzuoli and Javier Carrasco.
Contributors to the organization of the event in Greece:
- Η Στέγη παιδιού Κοζάνης «Ο Agios Στυλιανός» – Opera Pia for children ” Ο Agios Στυλιανός” in Kozani
- Πολιτιστικός Σύλλογος Κοζάνης ‘ Αριστοτέλης ‘ – Cultural association “Aristotilis” of Kozani
- Φυσιολατρικό Σύλλογο Μεσοποταμίας – Naturalistic Association “Mesopotamia” of Kastoria
The event was held with the patronage of:
- Municipality of Florence
- Embassy of Greece in Italy, Rome
- Ιεράς Μητροπόλεως Σεβίων & Κοζάνης – Metropolis of Serbia and Kozani of the Orthodox Church of Greece
- Ιερά Μητρόπολις Καστοριάς – Metropolis of Kastoria of the Greek Orthodox Church
- Περιφέρεια Δυτικής Μακεδονίας – Prefecture of Western Macedonia
- π. Ε. Καστοριάς – Municipality of Kastoria
- π. ε. Κοζάνης – Municipality of Kozani
- Σύνδεσμος Γραμμάτων και Τεχνών – Association of Arts and Letters of Kozani
Technical Sponsor in Florence:
- Greek restaurant Dionysus – Via San Gallo, 16/R